Dr Graham Jones: The Eastern Churches
Entrance of Christ to Jerusalem (AD 1457 Syriac Manuscript, from the Bar Ebroyo CyberLibrary - URL below).
General web sites and onward links for students of the eastern churches
- Greek Orthodox Church official web-site.
- Eastern Churches, a comprehensive page of links to sites devoted to aspects of Orthodox history, faith and practice
- The Resurrection and the Willow is a smartly designed presentation of material relating to Orthodox traditions of Passion Week and Easter, including descriptions of the conversion of the Slav peoples to Christianity.
- Mani and its churches, John Chapman's web-site about the churches of the Mani, the central and southernmost peninsula of the Peloponnese region of Greece.
- Orthodox links from the Protection of the Mother of God Church, Rochester, New York.
- Orthodox Church links maintained by the Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Raska and Prizren.
Web-sites devoted to Eastern monasticism
- Orthodox monasteries, a well-organised, informative site, though with some outdated links.
- Mount Athos monasteries, with impressive photography.
- Treasures of Mount Athos, with links to other pages, a site of the Greek Ministry of Culture.
- Monasteries - another set of monastery links, from the site of Our Lady of Balamand, El-Khoura, northern Lebanon.
- The Northern Lights route, featuring the Solovki monastery in the White Sea.
Country- or region-specific sites
- Anastasis, web-site of the Eastern Orthodox Church in Great Britain.
The Coptic Church
- The Christian Church in Egypt, links compiled by Google, the search engine provider.
- History of the Church in Egypt - short introductory essays compiled for the Egyptian Tourist Office.
- The Coptic Network is the starting point for the Coptic Orthodox Church.
- The St Shenouda the Archimandrite Coptic Society maintains links to Coptic church and cultural sites in America and the Near East.
The Ethiopian Church
- Library of Ethiopian Texts at Charles University, Prague.
The Syrian Orthodox Church
- Syriac (Jacobite) Orthodox Resources includes recipes from Kerala as well as hagiographic, liturgical and topographical material, including the Bar Ebroyo CyberLibrary.
- StGeorge Syrian Orthodox Church, Cheppaud.
- Hamurabi is a site developed by the Rev Dale Johnson, whose research field is the Syriac and Aramaic churches.
The Chaldean and Assyrian Churches
- Chaldean Church information, materials and links can be reached via the web-site of the Catholic Information Network.
- Assyrian Church of the East. Further Assyrian material and links are available at the Aramaic web-site.
- Armenian Historical Sources Byzantine, Georgian, and Turkish History.
Back to Links home page
Last updated: 23 November 2005 22:39
Dr G.R. Jones
The views expressed in this document are those of the document owner.
If you are an authorised user you may
this document through your Web browser.