[Press & Publications] SHARP PRESENTATION WINS STUDENT PRIZE



A Malaysian student at the University of Leicester, UK, has won a prestigious regional prize for a talk on the cutting edge of his research.

Choo Beng Khoo, a third-year Mechanical Engineering student at the University, won the Regional Heat of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers' Queen's Silver Jubilee Competition for a presentation on his third-year project entitled "Factors Affecting the Sharpness and Cutting Performance of Kitchen Knives."

The Queen's Silver Jubilee Competition is a national event devised to encourage engineers to present their work to a wider, non-technical audience. The quality of presentation makes up 75% of the marks whilst the technical content makes up the remaining 25%.

The Judges include a combination of Engineers and "Professional Communicators" from other areas of industry. The regional heat comprises universities from the East Midlands.

A delighted Choo Beng Khoo said afterwards : "I am very pleased to win this competition and have the chance of going forward to the National Finals at the Institute of Mechanical Engineers on 9 December 1999. I am looking forward to presenting my work in London."

Dr Sarah Hainsworth who supervised Choo Beng Khoo said: "The standard of competition was very high, and the Judges had a difficult decision between the candidates, Choo Beng Khoo gave an excellent presentation where he really engaged the audience in the subject. He also used the audio-visual aids to good effect. I am really pleased that he has won such a prestigious event."

Choo Beng Khoo won a prize of 125 and free attendance at the forthcoming Institute of Mechanical Engineers' Younger Members' Management Conference in April 2000.

Further information is available from Dr Sarah Hainsworth, Leicester University Department of Engineering, tel +44 (0)116 252 5692, fax +44 (0)116 252 2525, email svh2@le.ac.uk


[Leicester University] [*] Administration [*] Press & Publications
Information supplied by: Barbara Whiteman
Last updated: 02 July 1999 14:44
University Administration Web Maintainer

This document has been approved by the head of department or section.
If you are an authorised user you may edit this document through your Web browser.