The pulmonary artery has been opened (see box), the endothelial surface is smooth and there is no evidence of thromboembolism.
- TBilateral pleural effusions were found on autopsy: 1000ml of fluid was present on the right, and l300ml on the left side.
- Larynx, trachea and bronchi were normal.
- The right lung weighed 900g; the left lung weighed 850g.
- There were no pulmonary emboli (see picture).
- On slicing the lungs had a firm consistency with moderate pulmonary oedema.
surface of the lungs were dark in colour with the exception of the right upper lobe which was noticeably paler.