The left picture shows the cut surface of the myocardium. On the right it has been stained with iodine. The appearances are those of amyloidosis.
- The heart weighed 470g.
- The pericardial sac contained about 15mls of clear fluid, and extensive fibrous pericarditis was noted over surface of the heart.
- The myocardium had a pale glassy appearance and felt rather firm throughout with the exception of a small rim of apparenty normal myocardium in the lateral wall of the left ventricle (see picture - left).
- Cardiac valves were normal.
- No significant coronary artery atheroma or occlusion.
- The aorta and its branches were free of atheroma.