- Trachea and main bronchi obstructed by a recent blood clot.
- Obliteration of pleural cavity, especially over the left upper lobe.
- Both lungs have an increased weight (left lung 700g, right 760g).
- Sectioning of right lung shows some pulmonary oedema and fibrosis throughout the lung.
- Dissection of left lung shows a bronchial carcinoma arising from the proximal portion of the left upper lobe bronchus. The tumour has eroded through the bronchus wall and is closely related to a large pulmonary artery with recent clot.
- The left lung also shows mild fibrosis upon slicing.