A 13-year old girl was eating her school dinner one November lunchtime. She was eating beans, a chip butty and beef sausages. Halfway through her meal her lips and mouth turned blue and she had difficulty breathing. An ambulance was called and she collapsed and went into shock. The ambulance rushed her to Accident and Emergency, but she died soon after arrival.
The girl was generally fit and healthy with no major illnesses or injuries. She was diagnosed as suffering from moderate asthma three years ago, and used a preventative inhaler and a reliever when she suffered an attack. She also had eczema for which she used hydrocortisone. She was allergic to penicillin and nuts.
When the ambulance reached her she had:
Despite the administration of adrenalin by the paramedics, she became increasingly unresponsive and lost consciousness. More adrenalin was given on arrival, but intervention was too late and she died.