4. Secondary Research
Secondary sources consist of data that has already been produced and can be contemporary or historical, qualitative or quantitative.
Secondary sources include
- Referencing other forms of research and using quotes
The benefits of the use of secondary sources include:
- Save time and money
- May provide information and access to historical data
- May be used to prove or disprove an argument or theory
- May be used to offer general background information
- Can be used to set the scene of the research and its findings
- May be useful for putting the research into context
Researchers must always carefully consider the reliability and validity of secondary sources.