Adrian Building

Photograph of the Adrian building

Campus video

Photograph of Victroria park with the Attenborough tower in the background

Please click the play button above for the high quality version or alternatively watch the medium quality version.

Home to the Biological Sciences, the Adrian Building was designed by Courtauld Technical Services and opened in 1968 by Lord Adrian, after whom it is named. A bridge across University Road was added in the late 1970s after the construction of the Medical Science Building and an extensive interior refurbishment of the Adrian Building was carried out in 2006. Edgar Adrian (1889-1977) was a pioneering physiologist whose work on the function of neurones earned him a Nobel Prize in 1932. He served as President of the University College from 1955 to 1957 and then became the University's first Chancellor from 1957 until 1971.

Interesting fact: Edgar Adrian's son-in-law was the great-grandson of Charles Darwin.

UPDATED: 18 May 2009
MAINTAINER
This document has been approved by the head of department or section.