The Percy Gee Building

Photograph of the Percy Gee building

Campus video

Photograph of Victroria park with the Attenborough tower in the background

Please click the play button above for the high quality version or alternatively watch the medium quality version.

The Students' Union building was designed by T Shirley Worthington from the respected firm of Thomas Worthington and Sons and initially housed the University's arts departments as well as the SU. Completed in 1958, one year after the University was founded, the building was formally opened by HM The Queen. Director of local shoe firm Stead & Simpson, H Percy Gee (1874-1962) was Chair of the University Council and served as the first Pro-Vice-Chancellor.

Interesting fact: Disabled access was not considered important in the 1950s so the building was designed with more than 40 changes of floor level (changes were later made to comply with equality legislation.).

UPDATED: 09 February 2009
MAINTAINER
This document has been approved by the head of department or section.