1The remains of the Abbey2The ruins of Cavendish House
3Bishop Penny's wall at Abbey Park4Statue of Cardinal Wolsey at Abbey Park
5Bridge leading to tea rooms at Abbey Park6Weir in Abbey Park
7Chinese Friendship Garden at Abbey Park8Bandstand at Abbey Park
9Lodges at Abbey Park10Plaque at Abbey Park

Abbey Park

Leicester's first park was opened in 1882 and was built near the ruins of an Abbey (founded 1138) of the Augustinian Order (1). This area, which also includes the ruin of Cavendish House, the 17th century home of the Countess of Devon (2), was incorporated into the Park in 1925.
Part of the park is enclosed by Bishop Penny's wall (3). This dates from around 1500, shortly after Kirby Muxloe Castle was built, and contains some of the earliest post-Roman brickwork in England.
A statue of Cardinal Wolsey (4) guards the tea rooms (5). The River Soar passes through the park (6) and Abbey Park also contains a boating pond, ornamental gardens (7), play areas, and enough open space to hold cricket matches and several fairs and festivals through the year. Picture (8) shows the bandstand with the tower of the National Space Centre (which isn't actually in the park) in the background.
The entrance from Abbey Park Road on the east side of the park is flanked by two lodges (9). Here, a plaque can be seen on the main gates commemorating the opening of the park by the Prince and Princess of Wales (10).
Sound clips of a former park keeper
Leicester City Council's Abbey Park page
[Contents][University Home] [East Midland Oral History Archive Home Page] [contact the East Midland Oral History Project]