During WW2 the park had sheep grazing on it, and wheat, barley
and potatoes were grown. The local Home Guard were in Braunstone
Hall, the American 82nd Airborne Division arrived in Leicester on
14th February 1944 with Major General Ridgeway as their Divisional
Commander, and from 29th June 1945, the 53rd (Bolton) Field Regiment
Royal Artillery were stationed on the park.
There was a housing shortage after the war. Some people ended up
in the armed forces' vacated Nissen huts for a while. These were
cold, leaky, heated by coke burners, and had an intermittent electrical
supply. People also lived in 'prefabs' which were erected along
Hockley Farm Road, as well as in other parts of the city (and were
still there up to the 1980s). It was estimated that another 10,000
houses were needed in the city.
Click on the picture below to see an aerial photo from 1945.
Estate and Park