The Society and Its History
The Vaughan Archaeological and Historical Society was formed on November 18th, 1947. Originally the Society was sponsored by Vaughan College, Leicester and 75% of its members had to be students of that body. In 1955 the status was changed to that of an Associated Society and membership became open. The first President was Dr.W.G.Hoskins and hence a lecture is held in his honour annually.
Originally the Society was active in archaeological and historical research but more latterly it has concerned itself with a supportive role. In recent years this has been shown by donations to church renovations, provision of benches on the motte of Leicester castle and Welford Cemetery, siting of a plaque at Vaughan College to the memory of Dr.W.G.Hoskins and attendance at local history fairs.
The Society reached its Golden Jubilee in 1997, a celebratory dinner taking place on November 18th, exactly 50 years after the first meeting. The lecture programme for the 50th Season (1996/97) mirrored that of the 1947/48 season, keeping as near as possible to the original titles but with current views on the subjects. The Constitution of the Society was revised at a Special General Meeting on 24 October 1997. Amendments included a restatement of the Aims or Objects of the Society.
OBJECTS OF THE SOCIETY
Ordinary Membership is £10.00 per year. Associate Membership is £8.00 per year. (Example: membership for 1 Ordinary Member and 1 Associate Member is £18.00 per year.) An Associate Member can be anyone resident at the same address as an Ordinary Member. Visitors are always welcome to attend meetings at a cost of £2.00 per head. (Membership rates are reviewed at the Annual General Meeting of the Society.)
For further information please contact:-John Swinfield Wells (Membership Secretary) Tel. +44 (0)116 2867024
Last revised 2 September 2008
HOME PAGE | THE SOCIETY AND ITS HISTORY | Membership | NEWS & OUTSIDE EVENTS | LINKS | RESOURCES | Books | ARCHIVE | FORTHCOMING MEETINGS | Summer Programme | Vaughan College Saturday Schools | VAUGHAN COLLEGE | UNIVERSITY OF LEICESTER | CENTRE FOR ENGLISH LOCAL HISTORY |