- 1 Inch X 3 inch (25mm X 75mm) glass microscope slides.One end chemically frosted is convenient for marking with pencil; otherwise legends must be scrateched with a diamond pen to survive later stages.
- Staining dish with removable slide rack (glass or durable plastic, but not metals; eg.sigma S6141)
- Chromium trioxide-solution in 80% (w/v) sulfuric acid (Merck) (often referred to as chromic acid) or 6N HCl
- 1inch x 3inch (25mm x 75mm) glass microscope slides. One end chemically frosted is convenient for marking with pencil; otherwise legends must be scratched with a diamond pen to survive later stages
- Staining dish with removable slide rack (glass or durable plastic, but not metal; e.g. Sigma S6141)
- Place slides in a staining dish in acid for at least 3h at room temperature (Note 1): safety precautions for strong acids apply
- Wash slides in running tap water for 5 min
- Rinse slides thoroughly in distilled water
- Air-dry at room temperature or 37°C
- Place slides into 96% ethanol, leaving for 10 min to 2 days. Remove and dry slides with a lint free tissue immediately prior to use
- In our laboratory, two racks are left soaking continuously in acid.
- Chromic acid is a moxious pollutant and must be disposed off carefully.